Monica Emilienburg Layfield is an equity partner at Richards Rodriguez & Skeith LLP. Monica represents startups and emerging growth companies through all stages of their growth process, including in venture capital transactions, mergers and acquisitions and strategic and operational matters. Monica provides guidance to her clients regarding the legal aspects of due diligence in corporate and real estate transactions and in areas related to complex commercial transactions and entity structure, capital raising plans and debt financing.
Monica is a Leadership Austin Emerge Alum and regularly lectures to local nonprofits seeking advice for their daily operations. From 2011-2017, Monica served on the Board of Directors of the Girls Empowerment Network (GEN), a local nonprofit with the mission of fostering healthy self-esteem in girls by engaging them to find their voice and recognize their power. Monica serves on the Governing Board of Directors of Planned Parenthood of Greater Texas and is the Vice-Chair of Planned Parenthood’s Austin Community Board.
Monica received her BS from the University of Texas at Austin and her Doctor of Jurisprudence from Tulane University Law School. In her down time, Monica enjoys doting on her two dogs, Timmy and Parker, watching her wife Casey cook, but never actually learning how, and enjoying whatever delicious wine her wife told her not to purchase.
Professional Licenses, Memberships, Honors and Awards
- State Bar of Texas, 2006
- Leadership Austin Emerge Program, Class of 2010
- Governing Board, Planned Parenthood of Greater Texas, 2018 – Present
- Board of Directors, Girls Empowerment Network (GEN), 2011 – 2017
- Advisor, UT Law Entrepreneurship and Community Development Clinic, 2014 – Present
- Member, Texas Exes Hispanic Alumni Steering Committee, 2008-2010
- University of Texas, B.A., 2000
- Tulane University School of Law, J.D., 2006