Andrew (“Andy”) Gertz joined Richards Rodriguez & Skeith LLP in May 2020. He is Board Certified in both Commercial Real Estate Law and Residential Real Estate Law by the Texas Board of Legal Specialization. His practice focuses primarily on real estate transactions and litigation and commercial and construction litigation.
Andrew represents real estate investors and developers in acquisition and sale of properties, including raw land, apartment complexes, retail strip centers, and other commercial facilities. He also represents businesses and landlords in commercial lease negotiations and disputes including retail space, medical/dental offices, and restaurants. Andrew is currently assisting clients with loan and lease restructuring and foreclosure workouts.
Andrew has successfully handled a wide variety of real estate matters, from multi-million-dollar commercial real estate transactions and foreclosures to complex trespass to try title and partition lawsuits to simple residential real estate purchase and sale agreements. He also handles a wide variety of oil & gas matters as well as commercial and construction litigation cases. Andrew has tried numerous jury trials and bench trials as lead or solo counsel, and has been second-chair for many others.
He earned his Bachelor of Arts degree in History from the University of Texas at Austin and his law degree from the University of Houston. While in law school, Andrew clerked for a national plaintiffs’ law firm, where he gained significant experience in the areas of personal injury, product liability, toxic tort, and commercial litigation. Andrew also worked in the University of Houston Consumer Law Clinic handling a variety of cases for indigent clients.
Prior to returning to Austin and joining Richards Rodriguez & Skeith, Andrew was managing partner of the Gertz Law Firm in Beaumont, Texas. When not at work, Andrew enjoys spending time outdoors with his wife and three daughters. His hobbies and interests include working on old cars, woodworking projects, and UT athletics.
Professional Licenses, Memberships, Honors and Awards
- State Bar of Texas, 2009
- Board Certified, Commercial Real Estate Law, Texas Board of Legal Specialization, 2019
- Board Certified, Residential Real Estate Law, Texas Board of Legal Specialization, 2018
- Super Lawyers® Texas Rising Star 2016, 2017, 2018, 2019, Thomson Reuters
- United States District Court for Southern and Eastern Districts of Texas
- Member, Real Estate, Probate, and Trust Law Section, State Bar of Texas
- Former President, Jefferson County Young Lawyers Association
- The University of Texas at Austin, B.A., History, University Honors, 2005
- University of Houston Law Center, J.D., 2009