Kathryn Turpin is a senior corporate and transactional attorney with experience working with a spectrum of businesses from the start-up company to the medium sized company. She is licensed to practice law in both Texas and California, and she has handled a wide variety of commercial transactions, including general business transactions, acquisitions and sales of businesses, and technology agreements. Kathryn works with companies to help them identify the proper ownership structure and then to implement their plan for doing business (whether as a traditional brick and mortar business or an online business). In this role, she creates form agreements for the business and documents the relationships between the business and its customers, vendors or business partners as well as the relationships between the business owners and employees or consultants. Kathryn views her relationship with clients as a collaborative effort, with the goal of making a client’s business run as smoothly as possible.
Prior to moving back to Austin in 1997, Kathryn practiced law for several years in Los Angeles. In California, Kathryn worked at large law firms in downtown Los Angeles, focusing primarily on corporate securities matters and complex transactions for large private companies and publicly held companies. In both Los Angeles and Austin, Kathryn has served as general counsel to small start-up companies and senior corporate counsel to larger companies. In these roles, Kathryn developed the flexibility to respond to a wide variety of legal issues, often identifying and coordinating other resources needed by a client to resolve a matter.
Kathryn’s clients find her to be a thoughtful, attentive counselor who provides simple and clear explanations to her clients and who can craft cost-effective solutions to meet their business goals.
Kathryn is a three-time Ironman finisher and has crossed the Grand Canyon eight times. She is happily married to an astrophysicist and has two stepchildren in college. In her free time, Kathryn enjoys running, swimming, yoga, reading, and spending time with their four cats.
Professional Licenses, Memberships, Honors and Awards
- Member, State Bars of California and Texas
- Volunteer for Meals on Wheels, 2007- present
- Leadership Austin Essential Class 2001
- Board Member and Treasurer of Rollingwood Community Development Corporation, 2002-2005
- Board Member and President of Community Partnership for the Homeless (now Green Doors), a nonprofit organization that provides transitional housing for homeless veterans and affordable housing to low-income families, 1999 – 2003.
- Board Member of Ocean Park Community Center (OPCC), a nonprofit organization that provides services to low-income and homeless individuals (Santa Monica, California), 1996-97.
- Board Member and volunteer, Turning Point Shelter, a transitional shelter for homeless adults (Santa Monica, California), 1982-1997.
- Juris Doctor, University of Texas School of Law
- B.A., Accounting, University of Texas at Austin (Phi Beta Kappa, with high honors)