Ben De Leon joined the firm on February 1, 2019 and focuses on representing clients in the areas of real estate, construction and corporate matters. Prior to joining RRS, Ben spent nearly 14 years at De Leon Washburn & Ward, P.C. (“DW&W”), where he was named president in 2012. After focusing on litigation during the first 10 years of his practice, leading plaintiff-oriented cases in a variety of areas, Ben gradually transitioned into an outside general counsel role for a number clients, advising them in the areas of corporate compliance, contractual matters, labor and employment, administrative/regulatory law, real estate development, financing and the like. Passionate about helping entrepreneurs focus on the success of their businesses, he has provided strategic guidance and legal counsel to a number of small to mid-size companies over the years.
Recognized as a community leader in Central Texas, Ben is enthusiastic about service, mentorship and improving the community. This is evident in his many volunteer roles. Among these, he served as a board member for Big Brothers Big Sisters of Central Texas from 2010 to 2013 and was named the 2009 National Big Brother of the Year by Big Brothers Big Sisters of America, out of more than 250,000 mentors nationwide. His mentorship with Big Brothers, Big Sisters has been featured in media such as The Huffington Post, The Austin American-Statesman, and The Alcalde.
A native Austinite, Ben is fluent in Spanish, and has represented Spanish-speaking clients pro bono through Volunteer Legal Services of Central Texas since 2005. He received the Judge Suzanne Covington Pro Bono Service Award in 2007, 2008, 2009 and 2015; the award celebrates attorneys who have devoted an extraordinary amount of time providing pro bono legal services to the low-income clients of Volunteer Legal Services.
Ben earned his undergraduate degree in Corporate Communication and Spanish from the University of Texas at Austin and graduated from the University of Texas Law School in 2004.
When not focused on law and helping others, he loves to be with his wife Shannon, their daughters Anna and Winnie, and their son, Henry. Ben also spends time on his hobbies and passions, including reading, volunteer coaching, exercising and traveling. His interests are Texas-true, as he supports Longhorn sports and Houston Astros Baseball.
Professional Licenses, Memberships, Honors and Awards
- Texas state courts
- S. District Court, Western District of Texas
- Member, State Bar of Texas
- Fellow, Texas Bar Foundation
- Board Member, Communities In Schools of Central Texas, 2015-present; Secretary, 2016-present
- Board Member, A Legacy of Giving, 2016-2018; Elected President, 2017
- Executive Committee Member, Texas Law Alumni Association, 2013-present
- Board Member, PeopleFund, 2013-2016; Vice Chair, 2015-2016
- Board Member, Volunteer Legal Services of Central Texas, 2012-2014
- Texas Exes Scholarship Foundation Board President, 2013-2014
- Board Member, Texas Exes 2011-2014; Scholarship Committee Chair, 2011-2014
- Board Member, Big Brothers Big Sisters of Central Texas, 2010-2013
- City of Austin Planning Commissioner, 2009-2010
- UT Ex-Students’ Association Outstanding Young Texas Ex Award (2012)
- Super Lawyers® Texas Rising Star (2011-2018)
- Austin Under 40 Award, Youth & Education Category (2011)
- National Big Brother of the Year, BBBS of America (2009)
- Judge Suzanne Covington Pro Bono Service Award (2007-2009, 2015)
- University of Texas at Austin, B.S. and B.A., Corporate Communication and Spanish 2001
Phi Kappa Phi and Phi Beta Kappa
- University of Texas School of Law, J.D. 2004