Tim is a seasoned, results-driven attorney with a wide variety of business and public-sector experience both before and after entering the legal field. Currently focused on civil appeals and complex business disputes, Tim’s experience embraces all aspects of civil trial appellate litigation in state and federal court, including fact investigation; case development and strategy; mediation, negotiation, and settlement; motion practice; drafting and responding to discovery; document collection, review, and production; taking and defending fact, expert, and corporate rep. depositions; attending trial as preservation counsel; and drafting merits briefs on appeal.
Prior to returning to the private practice of law, Tim spent almost ten years as an attorney in Texas government, first with the Texas Legislative Council, a non-partisan legislative agency that serves as a source of impartial research and information, then as general counsel for a Texas state senator.
In addition to his work at RRS, Tim cares deeply about his community and has remained active in a wide variety of non-profit and governmental organizations. He has served as a pro bono attorney for Volunteer Legal Services of Austin and American Gateways, which provides representation, education and advocacy for the Central Texas immigrant community. Since 2018, Tim has also served as a member of the City of Austin Building & Standards Commission.
Professional Licenses, Memberships, Honors and Awards
- State Bar of Texas, 2008
- Member, Texas Bar College
- New York State Unified Court System, 2008
- U.S. District Court, Western District of Texas
- U.S. District Court, Southern District of New York
- Doctor of Jurisprudence, Cornell Law School
- B.A. English, University of Texas at Austin
- Handled merits briefing on appeal to Fifth Circuit from 12(b) motion in favor of attorney sued as part of complex RICO claim against former client
- Successfully opposed motion for transfer to Multi-District Litigation court by counsel for multiple pending short-term rental plaintiffs against their respective homeowners associations
- Successfully defended attorney in appeal by trust beneficiaries against attorney for prior trustee
- Successfully defended attorney in appeal from suit under contract and fiduciary theories for role in complex seller-financed real-estate transaction and subsequent note sale
- Successfully defended major hotel chain in appeal from Title VII discrimination action
- Successfully defended business defendant against appeal from DWOP by personal injury claimant
- Obtained 12(b)(6) dismissal for public junior college in class action challenging colleges COVID-19 response measures
- Multiple successful motions for summary judgment
- Member of team handling mass bad faith/DTPA claims against homeowners carrier arising from windstorm